Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What Is Sustainability Part 2

Over the course of this class I have come to see how the idea of sustainability is a very broad and encompassing term. We have discussed reducing our carbon footprint, educating others to the needs of our environment, and alternative methods of human activity that puts less stress on the earth and our environment. We are subject to our environment and without it we would be in a world of hurt. Getting this message out to the general public is the biggest goal of sustainability. The fact that every individual's efforts to reduce waste, consumption, and negative environmental effects can make a difference is in itself the most important thing for people to understand. The term sustainability in itself refers to the ability to be sustained by our environment indefinitely, which is not currently the case. So when people talk about sustainability as a goal the main factor to completing this goal is a unified action towards becoming environmental friendly. The lifestyle project was a true eye opener for me. For the first time I actually realized what I was doing to the environment on a daily basis and i found it quite disturbing. What I learned from the lifestyle project has motivated me to educate others because I feel like it is easy to fall into the cycle of consumption where you dont really think about the environment. My lifestyle project was a huge success for me in educating myself to the problem at hand, and I will take on the goal towards sustainability. I will continue to strive to reduce my consumption and waste and lead by example. After working through my lifestyle project and through the course of this class I would have to say that my final definition of Sustainability is ;the awareness of our actions, the reduction of the impact that we have 0n the environment that we occupy, and the education of others around us toward that goal.

No comments: