Monday, December 8, 2008

Sustainability: v2.0

Alright, so this time around it was a lot easier realizing that sustainability is not just about understanding what's good for Mama Earth and what's harmful for her, but the term requires us to get rid of some stubbornness and habits in order to make some lifestyle changes and really put words and thoughts into action. It's difficult to start walking the walk, but once it gets going it's like a full-force train headed directly to the end result. My journey of becoming more sustainable will be enhanced for me soon as my roommates and I begin moving from an apartment into a house over the break. I'm so ready for us to have our own garden and compost pile especially, and as soon as we move in I will be a serious homebody. Since this has been my goal for quite some time, reading Rebecca Solnit's "The Most Radical Thing You Can Do" really set my goal in stone for me. If more people would stay at home more often and consume less now, our future would be easier for us since it's looking like we will eventually be forced to stay close to home. I know most of humanity might not be ready for that change, but for those who want to, starting now would be a great step toward becoming a sustainable society.

No comments: