Monday, December 1, 2008

Week Three + Thanksgiving

Week three was just about the same as week 1 and 2. My initial goals have been reached and my lifestyle has changed to an extent. Recently I have noticed that in my apartment and everywhere I go really, cultural norms encourage us to consume more, think less and care less; even when we are being conscious of our consumption. These cultural norms have also made it hard to become more sustainable because of the nature of the appliances we invent, the cars we make, the kind of energy we burn, etc. This is all pretty disheartening but luckily this thanksgiving I was able to start a compost pile for my parents. For as much as my parents cook I thought it was more than appropriate to start collecting scraps and leftover newspapers for composting. My mom was totally into it and wanted to learn more, so I made a composting bin and began the initial process in producing compost. By the end of thanksgiving my whole family had composted around 1-2 pounds of scraps. Now that they are conscious of there food scraps hopefully they will continue to compost and maybe even apply some of those changes to other aspects of their lives. With the family it is interesting because it is so easy to make little comments about wasteful consumption and the amount of energy we use etc. but one cannot fully understand the reality of wasteful consumption and the benefits of reusing, reducing and recycling until they see and experience it for themselves.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm so glad that your family enjoyed composting. I am planning to help my mom set up a compost pile over the winter break and I think she is pretty excited about it!

Tony Holzbach said...

I think its awesome that you carried this class over to your family, I did the same thing over the break and was suprised at how receptive they were. Getting people to be more sustainable is all about education and involvment in little things like composting.

jessica said...

G-Son, I definitely need to follow in your footsteps on this. My parents cook the majority of their meals and spend a good amount of time outside gardening and whatnot already, so there should be no excuses for not having a compost pile. Well, I guess except that I haven't helped them get one started. But that is my goal this break! Our house is in the middle of a pasture pretty much, so my parents usually just throw the scraps over the fence for the cows, which isn't a bad idea, but I know my dad would love to have his own rich soil for our fruit trees, garden, and other plants instead of having to continue buying topsoil. I've already begun educating my parents on the little things in their daily routines they can modify to become more sustainable, and this addition would be a great way for them to see their results and keep up their newfound habits.