Thursday, December 11, 2008

sustain imagination

At the beginning of this semester I had what I now feel is a very cold philosophical definition of what sustainability means to me. I held that sustainability is the appreciation that we ourselves cannot be separated from our environment. I felt that we have to realize that we ourselves are part of an intricate web that has the capability of drastically harming other links within the web. This definition leaves me asking wheres the room for the trash art or sustainable fashion sense within my philosophical premise. I missed something which I now believe is integral to my notion of a balanced web and that is the role that I as a human being play within this web. It is not my job as a human being to simply keep the balance within the web I can add so much more. We as humans have the ability to use our imagination to enrich our environment in unlimited ways. For instance Natalia's refitting of her clothes, she could have chosen to simply maintain them so that they didn't go to waste but she chose to make them more aesthetically appealing. This is it! This is huge letting the human imagination enrich life without disrupting the critical balance between ourselves and our environment.
I believe this is essential we must reign in our imaginations and gear our imaginations to improving the lot of not only ourselves but the entire environment. When we can do this we will not only be able to live in harmony with the environment but each other as well. Patrick with his can crushing recycling bin proved that the human imagination can artistically create solutions for improving our relationship with the external world. I think we all found ourselves having to use our imaginations to comply with our lifestyles project I know i did. This is why I am going to add my new tentative definition to the Mix.
Sustainability is the artistic practice of applying our imaginations to improving our relationship with the ourselves and our environment.

No comments: