Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Definition of Sustainability

When I look back to my first post on sustainability I realized that my definition of sustainability hasn't really changed that much. However, I think this class has allowed me to better explain what sustainability is to me. Which was a problem on my first blog. I knew what I wanted to say and yet for some reason I couldn't put it into words. Someone in their first post said that to them sustainability was disappearing and leaving no trace of our carbon footprint. Striving towards that goal of disappear is what I believe is sustainability. That goal may seem unreachable now but as long as we strive toward it hopefully it will soon become a reality. 

A technique I believe will become important in attaining the goal of disappearing are the living buildings. Since, the earth can not afford for us to fail to replenish the natural resources that are rapidly disappearing. Of course in some ways replacing every building with a living one would be very expensive and take a very long time to complete and would also be unsustainable. However, I hope that living buildings will become more popular in the coming years.

No comments: